This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
- see all comments
"How do you water these, especially with white carpet underneath? Seams like it would be better outside."
"I think this site is awesome I like to clean with out chemicals."
"Such a cute idea"
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent for Hard Water
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
Click here to view your Ideas.
"How we beat hard water naturally in our dishwasher for only .10 per load of dishes! And it is SO easy to make and inexpensive - we use it every day! I can't believe how well this works for our hard water! All of my glasses come out crystal clear and, at only .10 per load we're also saving money!"
Estimated CostUnder $10
Time to CompleteUnder an hour
- 1 cup of Borax
- 1 cup of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 1/2 cup of Salt
- 1/2 cup of Citric Acid
- 1/2 cup of Vinegar
DIY Dishwasher Detergent
Combine the first four ingredients well and use it as you would use as dry dishwasher detergent. (about 1/4 of a cup)
Place the vinegar in a small cup in the top rack of your dishwasher - empty and refill it for every load.
Read NextHomemade Drain Cleaner
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
Jan 08, 2017
I think this is the second thing I have read regarding citric acid and hard water. I am going to try to find it. The other article was to buff it on a surface and then pour hot water on it. It did seem to get the hard water off of the stainless steel. Since we are not allowed to have phosphates anymore my dishes look horrid. I am going to find the stuff and give it a try. Thanks for the great idea.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Fashionable Stock Box DIY
Want a way to store your things that isn't an eye sore? Follow this Fashionable Stock Box DIY tutorial for how to make easy and… Continue reading: "Fashionable Stock Box DIY"
- Homemade Drain Cleaner
- How to Clean Cookie Sheets with No Scrubbing
- Fresh and Clean Reusable DIY Dusters
- Homemade Miracle Bathroom Cleaner
- How to Polish Wood Using a Candle
- Alternatives to Mothballs (And Why You Should Use Them)
- The Best Way to Remove Soap Scum
- DIY Dishwasher Tablets
- How to Detox and Deep Clean Your Bedroom
- How to Remove Tough Stains
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite ideas
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your ideas
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- How To Crochet Easter Bunny Applique
- Printable Lemonade Stand Kit
- Printable Ice Cream Cone Wrappers
- Diy Minecraft Tnt
- Diy All Purpose Cleaner
- Sheep Craft With Craft Sticks
- Foam Dice Chick Craft
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Quick & Easy: Crochet Throw Pattern
- Printable Hello Spring Coloring Page