How to DIY a Florescent Light Box Cover Out of an Old Window
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
From the blogger: "I know, I know; my basement will not be winning any beauty contests anytime soon. No one likes staring directly at florescent bulbs; it needed SOMETHING to take that glare down, so I did what I usually do when I need inspiration: I grabbed my tape measure and headed to the barn. I immediately was drawn to the giant old storm windows that I have stashed in the back. I grabbed one of the windows that was missing all of its panes and was long enough to cover the light and took it back to the house with me. With a little fabric and some hinges it was an easy and free project for us!"
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- Old window
- Hand stapler and staples
- Sheer fabric
- 2x6 rectangle to go around the florescent light
DIY Project Instructions
After building the 2x6 rectangle I stained the outside of it with dark wood stain and painted the inside white but it is up to you here on what would match your decor the best.
Staple the sheer fabric to the back of the window: Start on each end then find the middle of the fabric and staple it to the center, then find the middle on either side and do the same until you have an equal run of fabric.
Screw your 2x6 box around your florescent light (You're gonna need an assistant for this!)
Screw your hinges to the window and then to the 2x6 box, making sure it lines up so when you "close" the window, it entirely covers the front of your 2x6 box.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
- Kitchen Storage Rack Tutorial
- Beautiful Upcycled Bar Cart
- Renter-Friendly Star Wallpaper DIY
- DIY Wooden Toy Box
- Sofa Sleeve DIY Cup Holder
- Apartment Friendly Countertop DIY
- Small Laundry Room DIY Drying Rack
- Wrapping Paper Organizer DIY IKEA Hack
- Faux Mantel Floating Shelf
- How to Hang DIY Burlap Wallpaper
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Cereal Box Tombstone Diy For Halloween
- Diy Halloween Skull Wreath
- Christmas Pesto Tree Bread
- Ritz Crackers Spiders
- Ghoulish Ghost Dip Cookies
- Rock Painting Flowers For Kids
- Autumn Inspired Mickey Cinnamon Rolls
- No Carve Snow White Glitter Pumpkin
- Christmas Decor From Repurposed Game Blocks
- Mini Rustic Christmas Wreaths