Faux Mantel Floating Shelf
Hide those ugly cords with this "faux" mantel!
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
From the blogger: "This is a wood working tutorial on how I built a “faux” mantel and floating shelf beneath our flat screen television to hide those ugly cords. When I ran the electrical for this house I almost put two holes in the wall so we could run the cords behind the sheet rock however, we didn’t own this television at the time and I really didn’t want to put them in the wrong place! And it turned out to be a good thing that I didn’t because this tv would have required two separate holes – one for the power cord and one a mile away where the majority of our electronics get plugged in. Which means that for the past two years of living here those cords have been driving me crazy!"
Note from the blogger: "This helped hide those ugly cords in our house so much and was such a simple project!"
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueFurniture Projects
- 3" long screws
- Four pieces of 2x4 cut to at least 5"
- Dark walnut stain and brush
- White paint and brush
- Electric screw driver
DIY Project Instructions
Cut and paint your 1x6
Cut and stain your 2x4
Center your 2x4 on your 1x6 and drive screws in from the back through the 1x6 into the 2x4
Using scrap pieces of 2x4 find your studs beneath your tv and drive them in
Adjust your cords to make sure they are around the 2x4s and where you want them to be so they hide well
Attach your new floating shelf/mantel
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- 34 DIY Projects for Home Improvement
- Laundry PVC Project DIY Organization
- How to Make a Mason Jar Light
- Behind the Sofa DIY Console Table Charging Station
- 16 DIY Organization Ideas
- Recycled Materials Homemade Shelf and Table
- Rustic Hanging DIY Barn Door
- Fashionable Stock Box DIY
- Rustic Wooden DIY Wall Shelf
- Rustic DIY Floating Shelves Tutorial
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Outdoor Sun Loungers
- Testors Craft Acrylic Paint
- Easy DIY Shiplap Walls
- Hanging Felt Succulent Garden
- Outdoor built-in bench
- Farmhouse Etagere Bookcase
- DIY Suede Shift Dress
- DIY Knife Pleated Dress
- Adorable UP-Inspired DIY Halloween Costume
- How to Clean Old Bottles