Faux Mantel Floating Shelf
Hide those ugly cords with this "faux" mantel!
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
From the blogger: "This is a wood working tutorial on how I built a “faux” mantel and floating shelf beneath our flat screen television to hide those ugly cords. When I ran the electrical for this house I almost put two holes in the wall so we could run the cords behind the sheet rock however, we didn’t own this television at the time and I really didn’t want to put them in the wrong place! And it turned out to be a good thing that I didn’t because this tv would have required two separate holes – one for the power cord and one a mile away where the majority of our electronics get plugged in. Which means that for the past two years of living here those cords have been driving me crazy!"
Note from the blogger: "This helped hide those ugly cords in our house so much and was such a simple project!"
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueFurniture Projects
- 3" long screws
- Four pieces of 2x4 cut to at least 5"
- Dark walnut stain and brush
- White paint and brush
- Electric screw driver
DIY Project Instructions
Cut and paint your 1x6
Cut and stain your 2x4
Center your 2x4 on your 1x6 and drive screws in from the back through the 1x6 into the 2x4
Using scrap pieces of 2x4 find your studs beneath your tv and drive them in
Adjust your cords to make sure they are around the 2x4s and where you want them to be so they hide well
Attach your new floating shelf/mantel
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
Project of the Day
Vintage suitcases are taking the upcycling world by storm. Just look at this Bathroom Upcycled DIY Medicine Cabinet to see why! This… Continue reading: "Bathroom Upcycled DIY Medicine Cabinet"
- Easy DIY Cardboard Shelves
- Apartment Friendly Countertop DIY
- Wooden DIY Picture Shelf
- Handy Pegboard Paint Brush Organizer
- How to Paint a Chandelier
- Master Bedroom Fireplace Makeover
- Duct Tape Organizer
- Sturdy DIY Pallet Bike Rack
- Metallic Upcycled Storage Containers
- Modern Triangular DIY Nail Polish Rack
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Repurposed Santa Treat Box
- Halloween Pencil Case
- Upcycled Dollar Store Pumpkins For Autumn Decor
- Diy Christmas Candy Wrapper
- Easy To Make Felt Gift Bags For Hanukkah Or Christmas
- Batik Style Prayer Flags Using Glue
- Free Christmas Printables
- Easy Halloween Paper Wreath
- Cereal Box Tombstone Diy For Halloween
- Diy Halloween Skull Wreath