Faux Mantel Floating Shelf
Hide those ugly cords with this "faux" mantel!
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
From the blogger: "This is a wood working tutorial on how I built a “faux” mantel and floating shelf beneath our flat screen television to hide those ugly cords. When I ran the electrical for this house I almost put two holes in the wall so we could run the cords behind the sheet rock however, we didn’t own this television at the time and I really didn’t want to put them in the wrong place! And it turned out to be a good thing that I didn’t because this tv would have required two separate holes – one for the power cord and one a mile away where the majority of our electronics get plugged in. Which means that for the past two years of living here those cords have been driving me crazy!"
Note from the blogger: "This helped hide those ugly cords in our house so much and was such a simple project!"
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueFurniture Projects
- 3" long screws
- Four pieces of 2x4 cut to at least 5"
- Dark walnut stain and brush
- White paint and brush
- Electric screw driver
DIY Project Instructions
Cut and paint your 1x6
Cut and stain your 2x4
Center your 2x4 on your 1x6 and drive screws in from the back through the 1x6 into the 2x4
Using scrap pieces of 2x4 find your studs beneath your tv and drive them in
Adjust your cords to make sure they are around the 2x4s and where you want them to be so they hide well
Attach your new floating shelf/mantel
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Decorative DIY Organization Jar
- Wrapping Paper Organizer DIY IKEA Hack
- DIY Succulent Key Rack
- Small Space Projects: 28 DIY Ideas for Small Spaces
- Painted Pallet Crate DIY Shelves
- 34 DIY Projects for Home Improvement
- Cute and Easy DIY Wall Organizer
- Laundry DIY Storage Cabinets
- DIY Basket Shelves
- Garage Small Space DIY Storage
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Ultimate Guide to Replacement Cabinet Doors
- Elf with Mushrooms Woodland Decor!
- Valentine DIY Decoration Idea Braided Heart
- Homemade Cold Porcelain Air Dry Clay
- Christmas Comic Wishing Boxes!!!
- DIY Clay Votive Candle Holder
- Paracord Crafts
- Make a Unique 3D 2018 Calendar
- Easy and Beautiful Wood DIY Headboard
- Easy DIY Magnolia Wreath