This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
- see all comments
"Adding a scent would be perfect. Customize to the holiday or whatever. Yay."
"I use these baskets for Spring seedlings. Will remember this next time.Barbara Quinn"
Faux Mantel Floating Shelf
Hide those ugly cords with this "faux" mantel!
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
Click here to view your Ideas.
From the blogger: "This is a wood working tutorial on how I built a “faux” mantel and floating shelf beneath our flat screen television to hide those ugly cords. When I ran the electrical for this house I almost put two holes in the wall so we could run the cords behind the sheet rock however, we didn’t own this television at the time and I really didn’t want to put them in the wrong place! And it turned out to be a good thing that I didn’t because this tv would have required two separate holes – one for the power cord and one a mile away where the majority of our electronics get plugged in. Which means that for the past two years of living here those cords have been driving me crazy!"
Note from the blogger: "This helped hide those ugly cords in our house so much and was such a simple project!"
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueFurniture Projects
- 3" long screws
- Four pieces of 2x4 cut to at least 5"
- Dark walnut stain and brush
- White paint and brush
- Electric screw driver
DIY Project Instructions
Cut and paint your 1x6
Cut and stain your 2x4
Center your 2x4 on your 1x6 and drive screws in from the back through the 1x6 into the 2x4
Using scrap pieces of 2x4 find your studs beneath your tv and drive them in
Adjust your cords to make sure they are around the 2x4s and where you want them to be so they hide well
Attach your new floating shelf/mantel
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
Project of the Day
DIY Rolling Pantry Storage
Do you have a small kitchen? If you do, you know how important space saving ideas are and, you are sure to love this DIY Rolling… Continue reading: "DIY Rolling Pantry Storage"
- DIY Storage Ideas and Organization Projects
- Kitchen Storage Rack Tutorial
- Fashionable Stock Box DIY
- DIY Sprinkle Storage
- Ribbon Organizer DIY IKEA Hack
- Bold DIY Shelf Statement Wall
- Classic DIY Bathroom Shelves
- Recycled Materials Homemade Shelf and Table
- Decorative DIY Organization Jar
- DIY Storage Tower Hack
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite ideas
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your ideas
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Free Printable Beach Coloring Page
- Free Printable Pig Coloring Pages
- Easy Rosemary Gin Fizz Recipe
- Fun Summer Jokes For Kids Plus Free Printable
- Free Printable Octopus Coloring Pages
- Easy Berry Slab Pie
- Best Cheeseburger Sliders With Hawaiian Rolls
- Free Printable Father’s Day Coloring Pages
- June Coloring Pages
- Coastal Headband