DIY Foam Ceiling Tiles
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
From the blogger: "After you got past the horrific glare of the very pink foam insulation covered walls (and that EVERY THING was covered in spray foam) the next worst was probably the ceiling in the main room. This old place at one point was sheetrocked and professionally taped and mudded – the problem is they did not sheet rock the ceiling. Nope, that’s not sheet rock, its some kind of very old particle wood. After it was taped and mudded then acoustic ceiling tiles were stapled to the ceiling. I will never forget my sister-in-law telling me the story of how they went to the basement one night (to go to bed when they lived here over a decade ago) when a tremendous crash and insanity happened above them. Was it a break in? Did a tornado come through? What on earth could have made so much noise?!"
Note from the blogger: "I trimmed up the upper part of the walls wherever we used the tile to cover the seem between the ceiling and the walls. You don't actually "need" a helped for this but a second set of hands here will cut your time down by 3/4s."
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueHome Decor
- Styrofoam Ceiling Tiles
- Caulk and Caulk Gun
- One helper
- Scissors (to cut the tiles a utility knife works fine too)
- Chalk and Chalk line
DIY Project Instructions
Position you and your helper in opposite corners of the room on ladders so you can reach the ceiling, snap a chalk line
Do the same in the other corners so that you now have a big chalk X covering the ceiling (so you now have a center point)
Using the X determine the exact center to place your tile, mark it so its easy to find again.
Caulk your tile by placing multiple dots along the edges, a heavy dot in each corner and a big one in the center of the tile, place your first tile by pressing it down firmly working from the center out.
Work your way around your center tile by having your helper apply the caulk and hand you the next tile.
Once you get to the edges cut your tiles as you need to for a perfect fit on the ceiling.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
Project of the Day
Vintage suitcases are taking the upcycling world by storm. Just look at this Bathroom Upcycled DIY Medicine Cabinet to see why! This… Continue reading: "Bathroom Upcycled DIY Medicine Cabinet"
- Easy DIY Cardboard Shelves
- Apartment Friendly Countertop DIY
- Wooden DIY Picture Shelf
- Handy Pegboard Paint Brush Organizer
- How to Paint a Chandelier
- Master Bedroom Fireplace Makeover
- Duct Tape Organizer
- Sturdy DIY Pallet Bike Rack
- Metallic Upcycled Storage Containers
- Modern Triangular DIY Nail Polish Rack
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Repurposed Santa Treat Box
- Halloween Pencil Case
- Upcycled Dollar Store Pumpkins For Autumn Decor
- Diy Christmas Candy Wrapper
- Easy To Make Felt Gift Bags For Hanukkah Or Christmas
- Batik Style Prayer Flags Using Glue
- Free Christmas Printables
- Easy Halloween Paper Wreath
- Cereal Box Tombstone Diy For Halloween
- Diy Halloween Skull Wreath