Straight Herringbone Tile Backsplash Tutorial
Learn how to install subway tile in your kitchen or bathroom. Plus, find some excellent tips for installation.
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
Want to makeover your kitchen with style? Try out this Straight Herringbone Tile Backsplash Tutorial! It is a fabulous way to update your kitchen. This DIY project will show you how to install a backsplash of tiles in a herringbone pattern. Learn tips, tricks, and potential struggles of this DIY kitchen project. For example, you will learn how to place and cut tiles to go around outlets (a necessary but often forgotten step).
If you are looking for DIY kitchen ideas, this is the project for you. Try out this DIY backsplash tutorial in your own home.
Primary TechniqueHome Decor
Things to Consider Before Creating the Herringbone Effect
There's no denying that this texture of tile is a real eye-catcher that easily adds some interest to your walls. Skipping the boring side-by-side tile layout is a popular way to avoid a boring, tiled aesthetic. This project does come with some especially difficult steps, however, that you may choose to avoid.
- There's more cutting! In order to get the tiles to fit properly, you will need to make a lot of cuts to the tile for any tiling project. Adding the uneven width and height to the pattern may increase the amount of tile you need to cut to fit.
- Grouting will take more time. Applying grout between tiles is a bit easier with an even pattern. You'll spend more time applying it with a unique layout.
- It will change the look of your kitchen. New tile always brightens up a wall, but a creative pattern could be too busy in smaller spaces. If you're someone who prefers minimalist looks, you may end up disliking a herringbone tile design in addition to your rugs and flooring.
- Consider other patterns. While the straight herringbone is the simplest look, you may want to add interest to your space. Check out this article on Subway Tile Design for some lovely examples of designs like the crosshatch, straight herringbone, diagonal herringbone, and more!
Prefer a Video? Check out the How to Install Herringbone Tile Video below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
- Super Easy Upcycled DIY Canister
- Kitchen-Organizing DIY Island
- Plastic Lid Organizer
- Darling DIY Paper Towel Holder
- Repurposed Fan DIY Storage Basket
- Convenient Magnetic Knife Holder
- Budget Friendly DIY Drawer Organizers
- Sleek Metal DIY Menu Board
- DIY Cutting Board and Herb Planter
- Hidden DIY Slide Out Pantry
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Easy Air Fryer Pumpkin Hand Pies
- Cozy Square Crochet Plush Pillow
- Ikea Hemnes Drawers Flip
- Diy Wooden Coasters Wedding Favors
- Wine Advent Calendar – How To Make One
- Beer Advent Calendar – How To Make Your Own
- Picot Crochet Flower Lace Pattern
- Decoupage Clock
- Light Bulb Planter
- Watermelon Slice Sunglass Pouch