Mahogany DIY Countertops
Learn how to make countertops out of plywood!
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
From the blogger: "I put up the barn wood back splash behind the sink crossing my fingers that the multiple different shades of wood and patina would help those mahogany doors and pine cabinets clash a little less horribly. It did help and everyone else said it all looked great but, of course, they still bothered me. And then the light bulb went off. See, we have quite the clash going on anyway because of the brand new white stock base cabinets we installed in the kitchen.
Even after trimming around the bottom edge of the cabinets (the toe kick) in the same pine I used to build the uppers there was still a feeling of hard core difference between them. So, I needed a flat surface for a counter top that we could build ourselves: why not use the same mahogany plywood I had used for the upper cabinet doors?!"
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueHome Decor
- Mahogany plywood cut to counter top size
- Brad nailer and air compressor or similar tool(s) plus brads/nails
- Liquid nails
- Barn wood for outer trim
- 2x4s cut to cabinet size to support plywood
- Ply Acrylic and paint brush to apply
DIY Project Instructions
After cutting the countertop to size cut the plywood and attach it to the top of the cabinets
Glue plywood down on to 2x4s with liquid nails and tack down with a few brad nails
Cut the barnwood trim to size and trim out around plywood to cover the edge using liquid nails and brad nails
Hand sand plywood top VERY carefully with fine grit sand paper
Sand down barn wood until it is clean and smooth
Apply five coats of ply acrylic to entire top and barn wood edges, hand sand with fine grit sand paper after first two coats and right before last coat
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Washi Tape Ornaments
- Dollar Tree Fall Wreath Diy
- Repurposed Santa Treat Box
- Halloween Pencil Case
- Upcycled Dollar Store Pumpkins For Autumn Decor
- Diy Christmas Candy Wrapper
- Easy To Make Felt Gift Bags For Hanukkah Or Christmas
- Batik Style Prayer Flags Using Glue
- Free Christmas Printables
- Easy Halloween Paper Wreath