How to Braid a Large Rag Rug
We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
From the blogger: "Did you hear about that insane winter storm we got hit by a couple of Fridays ago? Well, it meant I was basically stranded at home for three days straight and I thought, “I know, I’ll make that rug I’ve been planning on working on!” So, while the snow piled up outside, I grabbed two $5 blankets and a big drop cloth I had purchased just for this project and I started cutting them all into strips so I could braid them. Here's how to braid a fantastic large rag rug!"
Time to CompleteLonger than a weekend
Primary TechniqueHome Decor
- Fabric cut into 1-2 inch wide strips. (I purchased two giant blankets from my local thrift store for $5 each - great deal!)
- Glue gun (I get the stick in bulk on amazon)
- Rubber rug mat the size you want your rug to be.
- Needle and thread.
DIY Project Instructions
With all of your strips cut and in a big pile settle in to start your braid.
You want your three strips at three completely different lengths so you always have one pretty short strip as you go.
Braid your shortest strip around the other two strips or else you will end up with a giant knot at the bottom of your braid.
When your shortest strip runs out sew a new strip on to the end of it and then find your other shortest strip out of the remaining two and continue you this until the rest of time (or you run out of material)
With your braid ready to go glue it in one strip down the center of your rubber mat.
(The glue will go through the mat, so make sure to protect any surface under your rug project. I used old towels.)
Keep gluing your briad to itself and to the mat until you get the rug as big as you want.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
- DIY Upcycled Denim and Copper Magazine Rack
- Air Plant Display
- DIY Asymmetrical Bookshelf
- Rustic DIY Silverware Holder
- DIY Crate Ottoman
- Tall Skinny PVC Pipe DIY Wine Rack
- Inexpensive Upcycled DIY Cork Board
- Upcycled Cardboard Craft Room Organizers
- Book Paper Dollar Store Wreath
- Diy Repurposed Quote Globe
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Watermelon Slice Sunglass Pouch
- Granny's Scrappy Placemat
- Hard Dandelion Lotion Bars
- Plush Crochet Tablet Cover
- Cold And Flu Shower Steamers
- Knitting Machine Reversible Hat
- Handmade Cat Hammock In 30 Minutes
- Dog Leash Holder
- Puff Stitch Crochet Flower Pattern
- DIY Test Tube Planter Stand