We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
It's always nice to have a space to display pictures, keepsakes, or family heirlooms; and what better place than some homey DIY shelves? This Easy DIY Barnwood Bookshelves project will show you every step to installing your own rustic shelves for all your home decor crafts. These homemade bookshelves are so simple to install, just get some quality wood, L brackets, and screws to get started! Look to the DIY tutorial for full step-by-step instructions on how to install your own rustic DIY shelves.
Note from the designer: "I wanted some very clean barnwood shelves for in my office so I got to work coming up with a plan to find hardware that I could easily hide. It turned out to be an easy project that provide ample room for all of my books!"
Estimated CostUnder $10
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Primary TechniqueWood Crafts
- Barnwood - I used 2x6s for this project.
- Steel L brackets
- 1 1/2" drywall screws
- 3" deck screws
- Level, pencil and measuring tape
- Stud finder
Start by locating your studs - depending on how long your shelves will be, I screwed my shelves to two.
Determine how much space you want between the shelves - I put my at 17 inches a part, looking back at them now I wish I had put them at 14 inches instead.
Using your level draw your lines where you want each shelf to be.
Screw in your L brackets to your studs using the 3" screws.
Place barnwood on top of the brackets - I pulled mine out from the wall a good 2" inches because a gap between the wall and the selves was no big deal to me and it increased the depth of the shelves for larger book storage. Screw up through the brackets into your shelf using the 1 1/2" screws. (Depending on the L brackets and screws you use you may need washers)
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
- Rustic Produce DIY Box
- 5-Minute IKEA Hack Underbed Storage
- Chic DIY Copper Pipe Shelves
- Rustic Chicken Wire Lampshade Makeover
- Bright DIY Circle Shelf
- Rustic Wood Box Centerpiece DIY
- Southern-Inspired Flower Arrangement DIY
- Farmhouse Bread Basket Weaving Tutorial
- Rustic Farmhouse Shelf DIY
- IKEA Hack Rustic DIY Shelves
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Free Summer Printable Lego Challenge
- Pet Friendly House Plants (Free Printable)
- Textured Mandala Doily
- DIY Lavender Vanilla Bath Bombs
- Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer
- How to Grow a Bay Laurel
- How to Make a Gallery Wall
- Diy Solid Dish Soap
- Free Printable Backyard Bingo Game
- Upcycled Jeans Pin Board