We are adding the idea to your Ideas.
The idea was added to your Ideas.
Buying used and upcycling can be so satisfying; not only do you save big bucks, but you have the pride of knowing the finished product is your own handiwork. This Upcycled Antigue Wooden Dresser project does just that. Buying a brand new wooden dresser can cost hundreds of dollars. Doesn't a $20 used dresser that you sand down and refinish to look like new sound so much better? We think so, too. With a little wood stain and some elbow grease, you'll be upcycling your way to major savings!
From the blogger: "This old dresser was a find out in the barn, I loved how big and heavy it felt and I had the suspicion that it was probably walnut. I don't know which one of my grandparents' this piece belonged to but I am so glad I was able to keep it and make it beautiful again! I sanded the whole thing down instead of stripping it and it just about killed me, definitely should have stripped all of the funk and gunk off of it first. I felt like my arms were gonna fall off. I just sanded. And sanded. And sanded. *facepalm* The whole dresser probably has over ten hours of just me sanding into it. However, in the end, once I saw those beautiful tiger stripes across the drawers, my heart just soared and it was so worth it!"
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Primary TechniqueFurniture Projects
- Sand paper and a sander
- Poly Acrylyc
After sanding the piece down to bare wood clean it well.
Apply new stain heavily with a brush and let it sit up to thirty minutes.
Wipe excess stain off with a towel.
Put three coats of poly acrylic on it, giving it time to thoroughly dry between coats.
Add new hardware.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Ideas
- Antique Ladder DIY Shelves
- Upcycled Sewing Table Desk
- Fun Pineapple Stenciled Console Table
- Sweet Country End Tables Makeover
- Easy Vintage Nightstand Makeover
- Wanderlust Global Drawers IKEA Hack
- DIY Indoor/Outdoor Paint Can Stools
- Ombre Planter End Table DIY
- Simple Rustic DIY Bench
- DIY Desk Makeover
Our Newest Ideas & Articles
- Crochet Candle Holder
- DIY Gourd Birdhouses
- Inexpensive DIY Trellis
- Homemade Modern Christmas Wreath
- How to Grow Ginger
- Free Printable Indoor Bingo Game
- 16 DIY Hand Care Ideas: Homemade Hand Lotions, DIY Hand Salves, and Other Self Care Ideas
- Free Summer Printable Lego Challenge
- Pet Friendly House Plants (Free Printable)
- Textured Mandala Doily